Following our best practise Wash Basics advice will help prevent smelly nappies.
All laundry, including nappies should smell completely clean out of the washing machine.
With adequate agitation, enough of a quality detergent, some laundry booster/stain remover and warm-hot water (40-60⁰C), nappies should come out of the machine smell free. But if they don’t, check that you’re doing the following:
- Are poo nappies being rinsed within 24 hours?
- Are you doing a separate pre wash cycle?
- Is the machine loaded correctly? See Front Loader Wash Routine, Traditional Top Loader Wash Routine, High-Efficiency Top Loader Wash Routine.
- Are you doing a daily pre wash cycle?
- Is enough detergent being used in both pre and main wash?
- Is the detergent strong enough to remove poo? See the Detergent Index.
- Is the water temperature at least warm- hot (40⁰- 60⁰) for pre and main wash?
- Are there excess suds in the front loader?